Sheltering Arms (formerly Episcopal Social Services) strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community's greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Sheltering Arms is currently seeking a Teacher's Aide at our Bronx location. The Teacher's Aide provides support to the Group Teacher in the classroom setting, assisting with the planning and execution of a program aimed at providing day care services to children ages 2-4 years old, taking into account the educational, social, developmental and health needs of the group, as well as the individual child. This is a Part Time position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Working within the framework of the classroom to carry out its functions, policies and procedures, including assisting Group Teacher with all classroom activities and outings
* Assisting with the planning and execution of the program and creative curriculum
* Participating in planning the use of community resources for educational enrichment
* Attending/participating in all classroom conferences and parent meetings
* Participating in any necessary training opportunities
* Developing/maintaining positive working relationships with parents/guardians
* Assisting with child observations, and maintaining written records on the development of the program, as well as on the progress of the children
* Other duties may be assigned
* A High School Diploma or GED is required, plus completion of the Child Development Associate (CDA) credential
* Prior experience working with children in a classroom setting
* First Aid and CPR trainings required and re-certified as needed
* Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
This is a Part Time position, $15/hr; Union DC1707 205
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual's perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to complete all standard administrative and support tasks including but not limited to climbing up and down stairs, operation of computers/phones/fax/printer/copy machine, and the ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30lbs. Must be able to travel from the various locations and sites of Sheltering Arms. As a day care worker, providing quality care for children will require a high degree of physical exertion. Must have the ability to lift and hold children, sit down on the floor and stand up frequently and walk quickly around the classroom. In addition due to the high level of energy in the clients during all physical activities and outings, must be able to run, play, and travel with the children. Physical and PPD clearance required.
Associated topics: administrative support, assist, attendance clerk, clinician, counsel, counselor, guidance counselor, receptionist, school clerk assistant, speech language pathologist